Monday, June 21, 2010

One Night Wonder

About two weeks ago I offered to my mom and sister that I would make a quilt for their friend's new little one. At the time they didn't think much of the idea. They just sort of ignored it and said they'd go get a gift later. Fastforward to Thursday night when they still didn't have a baby gift that they needed for Friday. All of the sudden they liked the quilt suggestion. My sister and I ran out to Joann Fabrics and spent what felt like forever looking for fabrics. We finally found some sports fabrics after about five runs through the store.
Front
We got back from the store around dinner time and before I went to sleep that night, I had everything pieced, basted, quilted, and the binding was attached. It was nearly two in the morning (I'd had some other non-quilting things I had to accomplish that night also) and I had to be up at seven so I decided to machine stitch the binding down. I'd never tried it before, but I know my handstitching can be a little slow and didn't know how much time I would have the next day to finish it. I attached the first side and then let myself get some sleep, feeling that my work would be a bit cleaner after I rested.
Back
The quilt is pretty simple, but I put the baby's name in the center for an added touch. I liked the idea initially, but only decided it was possible once I heard the baby's name: Colt. Since it was only four letters long and I could spell it out with all straight lines, the idea got to come to fruition. It measures 41" by 43" before washing. Fabrics are sports and school colors - a perfect combo for the new little family.
Close-up
I was busy most of the day Friday, but finished the binding up before my twenty-four hours were up. I got the quilt packaged and ready to go, only to find out the baby and parents were out of town and wouldn't be back until today. I wasn't happy that I had rushed, since there are a couple little things that could have been slightly cleaner if I wasn't rushing, but oh well, no regrets, and I am happy its done.

Packaged and ready to go! And in a matching tiger striped bag :-)
My family thinks the quilt is wonderful and I hope the recipients like it as well. My mom was amazed I could make a quilt so quickly since all of the others I've made have taken some time to finish. The difference is that I just do a little bit every day most of the time, between everything else in life I need to do. For this quilt, I put everything else aside and powered through. Plus this design was quite easy. Hopefully she doesn't take advantage of the possibility again in the future. I prefer taking a little more than a night to make a quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment