Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Disappearing Nine Patch Complete!

The pink and purple disappearing nine patch is all done! I had plenty of sitting time this weekend while I worked a garage sale and visited with family so I decided it was a good time to handstitch the binding. Slow and steady gets the job done. It took me three days of stitching on and off for short amounts of time, but its so beautiful how could I complain? Also, two finishes so close together feel so rewarding! Gets me motivated to have some more real soon.

The quilt measures 34"x41 1/2" before washing (there is a backup on laundry here preventing quilts from entering the washing machine). For now it will remain in my stash of finished projects until a new little person comes along needing a quilt. Since I'm usually not quick at getting quilts done, I'd like to have a couple on hand for friends and family having babies. No more episodes like last week :-)

Back to binding...Friday after I machine bound Colt's quilt, I decided I really liked the feel of machine binding better than hand stitched. I almost decided to do the disappearing nine patch one by machine too, but thought since I had the time I would go ahead and do it by hand. I'm really glad I did. After finishing this one I realized how wrong I was about the machine binding being better. The way this looks and feels is much nicer. I think there is a time and place for machine binding, but I'll probably stick to hand stitching most of my bindings down.

No comments:

Post a Comment