Thursday, June 17, 2010

Musical Pinwheels

My most recent project is a pinwheel quilt for a family friend. She is a pianist and has generously assisted my sisters and I over the years with vocal auditions without ever accepting anything in return. I was inspired to make a quilt for her when I saw the black musical note fabric a few months back during a sale I happened upon. The pink fabric I had purchased for another project which has since changed directions. I really liked the look of the black dot swirls with the musical note fabric so I began cutting and sewing. The white fabric, which I pulled from my stash, isn't exactly music themed, but I think the swirls on it look like bass clefts so I decided to include it. I also have some piano key fabric which isn't pictured.

I am happy to say that my piecing is improving. The points on most of these blocks line up. I've only had to tear apart one block (the first one) to make everything line up and lay flat. I really love the look of pinwheels and am happy that I chose pinwheels for this quilt.

I currently have 20 blocks made - 9 white pinwheels and 11 black. I have two more black to put together. I'm trying to experiment with layout and borders to see if I need to make more blocks. I'm also trying to think of how I'll quilt this. Suggestions are welcome :-)

2 comments:

  1. You're off to an awesome start! I'm sure your family friend will enjoy it! Happy Quilting.


    www.aqsquiltnews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete