Monday, September 13, 2010

Free Motion Quilting: Attempt 1

If you are looking for the giveaway go here. :-)
Yes, one week turned into six, but I finally got around to quilting my quilt. Got it prepped and ready to go late one night after everyone was settled in for the night and I could use the floor space. It is currently on the machine as I have been quilting it little by little.
Free motion quilting is definitely something one must get used to. I'm beginning to get the hang of it, but I still have some learning to do. For instance, I'm having a little trouble with this...
That doesn't even show the first one I bent when just playing with the new machine. And in all honesty, I'm not all that far along on the quilting yet. The needle that is currently in two pieces broke off after about 65 seconds on the machine, maybe 80. Seeing that I began a new job today and am tired, I decided that was enough for tonight. I'll try again in a few days when I have some time and I'm not so worn out by my new routine. In addition to needle problems, I'm struggling a bit with the tension being correct. I'm thinking I should have started with a smaller quilt to learn on, but I will prevail in this ... eventually.

5 comments:

  1. Good job Ashley! Beautiful quilt and that's terrific that you're quilting it!! You're right, it takes practice, even more patience!! You'll get it though! Trust me, been there, bent that needle too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the prayers for our family during Linny's prayer/fasting day last week! God bless, Jennifer
    P.S. Wow! Beautiful quilts!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is beautiful! I'm sure you will master the fmq. I became a follower via KQ Sue - she posted your needed to increase your numbers. Come over to my blog and help me increase my numbers too http://straystitches1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness you are gifted and the colors, loving it. We have quilts on all of our beds. Even when we packed for the mission field (only keeping 5 suitcases of stuff) our quilts crammed in. They tell a story and have made every home feel, well home.

    Delighted to meet you today. I hope you don't mind if I splash around to get to know you. This looks like a refreshing spot to slip off my shoes and dip my toes.

    Splashin,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete