Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Now that I've begun quilting, I am finding many different patterns I want to try out. I want to try string blocks, rail fence blocks, disappearing nine patch blocks, as well as a quilt of all squares and numerous patterns I've drawn up myself. I've gone out and bought several different 'sets' of fabrics that I could use on any of these patterns. As enthusiastic as I am to get started, I seem to freeze when it is time to cut into the fabrics. I get worried I've chosen the 'wrong' set of fabrics for a particular design or that I'll mess up when cutting and ruin the fabric I have. I finally had to take a moment to reason with myself that (1) if I do make a bad cut who cares? I can cut another piece or change up the design a little, (2) there is no 'right' fabric for a design or design for a fabric, and (3) I'm still learning and can always make another quilt if the current one isn't to my liking and I'm sure someone will like it. Having done that, I felt much better and was able to piece together the blocks for a disappearing nine patch baby quilt.I've subsequently spent between 1-2 hours arranging and re-arranging the blocks in a pattern that is to my liking, but have finally found a good arrangement. You can see my little slip of paper on the top block indicating its place in the layout. This little pile is sitting and waiting for me to return to it when I finally have some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment